Alzheimer’s is a brain disease that causes a slow decline in memory, thinking and reasoning skills. The fear of acquiring the disease is of major concern to most aging adults and differentiating normal age loss from a neurocognitive disorder is of utmost concern.
I have listed below the ten early signs to look in a neurocognitive disorder like Alzheimer’s vs. typical age related loss.
Ten Early Signs of…
Alzheimer’s or neurocognitive disorders vs. typical age related loss:
- Memory Loss that may disrupt your life V.S. sometimes forgetting appointments and remembering later
- Challenges in planning or solving problems V.S. making occasional errors balancing a check book
- Difficulty in completing a familiar task V.S. occasionally needing help to work the TV remote
- Confusion with time or place V.S. forgetting the day of the week/date but remembering later
- Trouble understanding visuals & special relationships V.S. vision changes related to medical condition
- New problems with speaking or writing words V.S. sometimes having trouble finding the right word
- Misplacing things & losing ability to retrace steps V.S. misplacing things sometimes then finding them
- Decreased or poor judgement V.S. making a bad decision once in awhile
- Withdrawal from work or social activities V.S. feeling weary of family or social obligations
- Change in mood and personality V.S. being irritable when your routine is disrupted
Holistic Aging-Options For Elder Care has the expertise to offers solutions in identifying and management of all neurocognitive disorders. If you or a family member is suffering from Alzheimer’s or other neurocognitive disease, we urge you to contact us. We have the resources, expertise, & sincere drive to ease your mind & increase quality of life.
Think you need help managing your or a family member’s life and medical care? Not sure what a Life Care Manager can do for you? Here is how we can help.